Shrimp Bhutuwa – (Nepali Stir-Fried Shrimp)
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 garlic gloves, halved
- 1 in. ginger, julienned
- 5 fresh red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup green onions, cut in 1 in. length
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut in 1-in. strips
- 5 dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil for stir-frying
- Salt and Pepper
- In a processor, blend garlic, ginger, fresh red chilies, turmeric, honey and lime juice into a smooth paste.
- In a non-stick pan heat two tablespoons of oil.
- Add dried red chilies and fry till dark.
- Add spice paste; fry for another couple of minutes until the oil starts to separate from the spices.
- Transfer shrimp to the pan, add salt and pepper and stir continuously to brown on high heat for about two to three minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add green peas, red bell pepper and green onions; stir for five minutes or so until vegetables are cooked.
- Do not overcook shrimp, or else it will become rubbery.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Drain excess oil, if necessary.
- Serve with steamed rice and roti (flat bread).
Author: Tulsi Regmi