(Spice Mix for Meat Preparations)
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 10 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 5 cloves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida
- On a pan roast cumin, coriander, timur, black peppercorn, cloves and cardamom pods until seeds start to pop and change color.
- Reserve on a dry sheet of paper to allow cooling.
- Grind all roasted and other remaining spices into a fine powder.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- This meat masala is commonly used in meat preparations.
Author: Tulsi Regmi