(Himalayan Lamb Noodle Soup)
- 1 lb rice noodles
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb grilled lamb or pork, cut into very thin 1/8 inch slices
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup celery, julienned
- 1 cup spinach, washed and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt and pepper, as needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 fresh red chili peppers
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon szechwan peppercorn (timur)
- 1/16 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water until slightly undercooked.
- Drain and rinse; reserve in a large bowl.
- In a blender, mix all soup paste ingredients into a thick paste; reserve in a small bowl.
- In sauce pan heat cooking oil; add soup paste, fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Add chicken broth; mix well.
- Bring to a boil; set heat to low and cook for a few minutes; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add all vegetables into the soup mixture; cook for a few minutes or until tender.
- You may add more broth if a soupier consistency is desired.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, pour soup broth into a serving bowl and add grilled chicken slices and cooked rice noodles.
- Serve immediately.
- Add hot chili sauce or tomato achar to the soup if you desire spicy soup broth.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Author: Tulsi Regmi