(Crispy Deep-Fried Duck Marinated in Nepali Spices)
- 5-6 lb. whole duck, cleaned and washed
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil for deep frying
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, ginger, garlic, timur, nutmeg, half teaspoon of turmeric, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Clean duck; wipe dry.
- Rub duck inside and out with the spice mixture.
- Let rest to marinate for at least eight hours.
- Place marinated duck in a steamer and steam for at least one hour.
- Remove from steamer and let cool down.
- Combine a half teaspoon of turmeric, chili paste, molasses, honey and salt, and smother over the duck, inside and out.
- In a deep fryer heat oil to 360oF.
- Dip the steamed duck in frying oil.
- Fry duck, turning periodically, until the duck skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- To serve, cut crispy duck into bite-size pieces.
- Serve with rice pilaf, accompanied with mango chutney.