(Classic Nepali Grilled Ground Lamb Skewers)
- 2 lbs. minced lamb (chicken or pork can also be used)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 fresh red chilies, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup paneer cheese, roughly grated (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt to taste
- Bamboo skewers (pre-soaked in cold water for 30 min.)
- Melted butter for basting
- Combine lamb and all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for an hour.
- This allows the ingredients to fully develop their delicate flavors.
- In the mean time heat charcoal grill, clean the grill surface thoroughly to avoid the sticking problem.
- Take 1/2 cup of lamb mixture on palm, and mold into 3-in. long sausage.
- Insert a pre-soaked skewer through the sausage.
- Repeat with the remaining lamb mixture.
- Generously brush all lamb sausages with melted butter.
- Grill the sausages, occasionally turning and basting with butter until cooked through, about 10 min.
- Take off the grill the cooked sekuwas and generously brush with melted butter before serving.
- Arrange the sekuwas on the bed of rice pilaf, supplemented with tomato, cucumber and red onion slices.
- Goes well with tomato achar.
Author: Tulsi Regmi