(Nepali Chicken Curried with Mango and Spices)
- 2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 2 cups ripe mango, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a non-stick sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of butter.
- Fry a tablespoon of black pepper corn for 30 sec.
- Add turmeric and onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and cumin powder; stir well for a minute or so.
- Put the mango chunks into the onion mixture; mix well and sauté for five minutes to allow sweating of the mango.
- Add chili paste, salt and pepper; stir thoroughly for the complete incorporation of the ingredients.
- Allow the mango mixture to simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
- Reduce the mixture by half.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender for pureeing.
- Puree the mango mixture into a mango sauce.
- In a large bowl, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat two tablespoons of butter.
- Add chicken mixture and brown well over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until the chicken pieces are almost done.
- To the browned chicken add pureed mango mixture and stir well to coat all the pieces of chicken.
- Lower the heat and allow braising for 10-15 minutes until the chicken pieces are tender and a desired consistency of the mango sauce has been achieved.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice and roti (flat bread).